Stoney LaRue – 5 Things You May Not Know
Stoney LaRue is opening what is easily the biggest concert of the year in Texoma – The 2011 Army Concert Tour with Merle Haggard and Miranda Lambert on Saturday, July 2nd at Ft. Sill’s Polo Field. Most of us a very familiar with Merle and Miranda, but unless you’ve followed the Red Dirt music scene you may not be as familiar with Stoney. I found a few things on his website that you may not know about him:
- Stoney was born in Texas, and raised in Southeast Oklahoma.
- At 3 years old, you could find him singing the John Anderson song “Swinging” on his Mr. Microphone.
- He lists a wide range of musical influences – from Willie Nelson to Ray Charles, to The Grateful Dead and Kris Kristofferson.
- His 2002 debut album, “Downtown”, was recorded in private sessions at Cain’s Ballroom in Tulsa and mixed in a trailer on the side of a cliff in Bartlesville, OK.
- “Oklahoma Breakdown”, from his 2006 “Live At Billy Bob’s” album, topped the Texas charts for 4 weeks.
Stoney is on the road a LOT, performing close to 300 dates a year at top festivals and venues across the world – including the Caribbean and Europe. Lonestar 102.3 is glad that Ft. Sill made it on his tour schedule for this year! Check out our event page for the concert info.