Billy Currington Gives Good Directions, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Takes Long Hard Road – Today In Country Music History
Billy Currington had the number one Country song in the nation on this date in 2007, George Strait became Doctor Strait in 1979, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band scored their first number one single in 1984 and more.
Here’s the list for Today In Country Music History for 26 May, 2012.
- Dwight Yoakam performed on The Tonight Show in 2009, becoming the final country artist to appear on the NBC program during Jay Leno‘s first tenure as host.
- Billy Currington took “Good Directions” to Number One in Billboard in 2007.
- George Strait received a doctorate of humane letters from his alma mater, Texas State University in San Marcos, in 2006. He earned a bachelor degree from the institution in 1979.
- Brooks & Dunn earned their first gold album with Brand New Man in 1992.
- The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band‘s first Number One single, “Long Hard Road,” charted in 1984.
- Jeanne Pruett charted a Number One single in Billboard with her signature song, “Satin Sheets,” in 1973.
- Willie Nelson debuted on the charts with “Touch Me” in 1962.
- Hank and Audrey Williams‘ first divorce was finalized in 1948.
Here’s a fan-made video for Billy Currington’s Good Directions.
Subscribe to 102.3 Blake FM on
Not near a Radio? Click here to listen to Lonestar 102.3 online.